As the bitter cold of winter continues, people are looking for ways to keep warm.
There are a number of possibilities to supplement a home's primary heating source.
But there are dangers associated with many of them.
After spending three hours at a house fire caused by a space heater on Monday, Garland Volunteer Fire Department Chief Brian Bull is asking the public to exercise caution.
"A lot of our fires in the past month have been heat related," Bull said.
"When you're using alternative heating sources, pay attention to them," he said. "With portable space heaters, follow the manufacturer's recommended distances and don't leave them unattended."
"Proper installation, maintenance and operation greatly reduce the risk of fire," City of Warren Fire Department Operations and Training Officer Joe Beardsley said. "Be sure to follow manufacturer recommendations for usage of all heating appliances."
"Keep all combustible materials at least three feet from heaters, fireplace or woodstove," he said. "Turn off portable heaters prior to leaving the room or sleeping."
For those burning in fireplaces and stoves... "make sure your chimneys are clean," Bull said.
"Have your heating equipment, vents and chimneys professionally inspected and repaired as needed," Beardsley said.
"Install smoke and carbon monoxide alarms and check them monthly," he said. "The Warren Fire Department still has smoke alarms available. For information, contact us at 723-2950."
The low temperatures have led to frozen water pipes in many places. Residents looking to save money on a visit from a professional might instead cause far more damage if their efforts to thaw the pipes lead to a fire.
"If you're not sure what to do, call someone who does," Bull said.